Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Our apologies, Miss Whitney

Moments ago I was behind a car with a Bush/Cheney '04 sticker, an anti-abortion sticker and a Christian sticker I found extremely offensive. The stickers taken one at a time angrified me, but taken all together made my blood boil. The car was driven by a woman.

What is wrong with this women? The Bush administration has set the women's movement back half a century. We are losing control of our own bodies. And fundamental Christians want women barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen. How could any woman support views that would make her a second-class citizen?

I am calling for all women who know that they are strong. Those of you that can be real role models for our girls. Speak out. Let the boys know you are there. If we don't exert ourselves soon, we are going to find ourselves covered in cloth from head to toe, forced to keep out of sight.

The suffragettes at the turn of the last century and those ladies in the seventies who tried to get an equal rights amendment passed didn't think they were doing so in vain. Yet, here we are, giving up our rights.

Eli Whitney didn't invent the cotton gin. His sister did. But women weren't allowed to hold patents and so we don't even know her name. Please join me in ensuring we don't have to live like that again.

If it all seems to difficult, remember that women used to be revered. They can carry life. Early man looked on woman as miracles. And we are. Without us, there would be no future. I'm pretty sure, though, that if need be we could do without men altogether.

So, with apologies to my husband (who treats me with the respect and reverence usually reserved for a goddess), women rule and don't forget it!

No comments: