Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A little common courtesy, please

I had prepared something deep for today, but something happened on my way to the forum. As it seems to be an epidemic, I must address it.

Your turn signal is not only meant for turning. It is also to be used when you change lanes. This is more than common courtesy, though plenty of people out there could use a dose. If I don't know you're coming over, I could easily hit you. That shouldn't be my fault--- I don't read minds, especially those of people in other cars. But when the cops come, I'll probably be blamed.

Now this particular asshole was doing about 65 in a 50. He was behind me and coming up fast. He got into a turn left only lane and then cut right back in front of me with no warning (although, I'm not stupid. I knew that was going to be his intention). And he came pretty darned close to hitting the front of my car.

I did what anyone would have down and honked my horn.

All that speed and rudeness, for what? He got to be the first one at a red light! So I gave him the thumbs up. Good for you, Buddy.

And he flipped me off.

He does wrong and I get the bird? No, really, sir, I insist. I applauded him.

So he decided to wait until the light turned red to go through it. He obviously doesn't know me. I had already ascertained no cops around and followed him through the red light.

He decided he would drive 25 in the 50.

This really tickled me. He had been in such a hurry. Now, he was willing to slow to a crawl to try and ire me. When other cars started to pile up behind me, he made a show of PUTTING ON HIS TURN SIGNAL and pretending he didn't know where his turn was. (It was the area college. I knew he was a little spoiled bitch driving his parents' car.)

His ploy entertained me so much, in fact, I started to laugh. Then, to laugh harder. Soon, I was laughing so hard my sides split and found myself pointing at him and laughing at him.

You see, I had nowhere to be but here. And I had all day. I didn't care that he wanted to be in front of me. I only wanted for him to realize he is not the only person on the road. I was there and you almost hit me because you couldn't be bothered to check your blind spot, signal and give me space. Prick.

I know it's contrary to popular belief in this country, but THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU. THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE AROUND YOU AND THEY CAN ONLY TREAT YOU AS GOOD AS YOU TREAT THEM.

KARMA

No comments: